Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year.

So, it’s a new year. The old has gone, the new has come. Sorry, that just popped into my mind. Don’t remember what bible verse its from. I know it isn’t referring to new years, though! ☺
I just finished reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. It was way good. It is about a young girl named Francie Nolan who lives in Brooklyn New York in the early 1900’s. The back describes it as “a book about the coming of age.” Or something like that. It is very long, and many things happen. Her father is a part time waiter who cant get a real job because he is drunk a lot, but Fancie loves him very much. The story tells of her life, from before she was born until she is 16 or so, with five different ‘books’. I liked it a lot, but find it is kind of hard to write a shot summary on this particular book. But I do recommend the book very highly. It is really good.
I find that the more I read classics such as this on, the more I am inspired to write my own novels. Many good writers of the past are often overlooked these days because no one is interested any more. They don’t want to read these great works of art. And so the books of the past become something that is pushed away and forgotten. But these works shouldn’t be forgotten. We should occasionally take them out and read them again. Because what a lot of people don’t realize is that even writing a book, let alone publishing it, is very hard work. If you want to so much as change one little thing, it completely changes the entire work, and you have to make a bunch of changes here and there. And these are some of the greatest works ever. They should not be forgotten.
Well, I should go.
bye, and again, Happy New Year

1 comment:

Naomi Elizabeth said...

hi, the verse that it comes from is 2 Corinthians 5:17 - therefore if anyone is in Christ he is a new Creation; the old has gone the new has come.
Emily and I have been watching the Lord of the Rings again. Yeah!! That always inspires me to write. But reading totally does also...depending on the book. haha :D Happy new year.
~Strider